A Comprehensive Guide to AWS Free Tier for Cloud Services
Cloud hosting and related services are relatively new in India. Search for a good and inexpensive hosting service for a website or blog, and you will come across several players offering cloud hosting services. One such prominent name is Amazon, whose comprehensive range of cloud and web services provides a flexible, scalable, and secure environment to host websites or blogs. Availing Amazon's Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model enables users to pay only for consuming applications that are hosted online. They can easily integrate their existing system and data with the technology and at the same time enjoy seamless, functional upgrades. Today, numerous blog sites are running on AWS Free Tier, for it is reliable and offers AWS cloud services for a year without charging a single penny. As a newbie to AWS Free Tier, you must go through this blog to learn more about the Amazon services in India.
Setting It Up
You can set up the Free Tier without breaking a sweat. All you need to do is to:
- Open the AWS console.
- Signup using your email id.
- Add credit or debit card details for a dollar charge for validation.
- AWS charges you a dollar to confirm the authenticity of the new card.
- This is a one-time charge as there are no other charges after validation.
- Using AWS Free Trail is easy. You can ascertain the eligibility for free tier by:
- Logging into the AWS Management Console using your root credentials.
- Navigate to the billing section by clicking “Billing & Cost Management” on the top right corner.
- Scroll to the bottom to find the text “You are eligible for the AWS Free Usage Tier."
- The text indicates your eligibility for AWS Free Tier services.
Cost is a major factor when hosting website, for it translates into services. Amazon EC2, Amazon RDS, Amazon S3, Amazon CloudFront are the basic services that you require to run a website or blog. AWS calculator can help you comprehend the money you are saving using AWS Free Tier. The charges may differ depending on your region.
- AWS Free Trial allows you to monitor the service usage. To check your server consumption to ensure your usage is within the limit, you need to:
- Logging into the AWS Management Console using root credentials.
- Click the “Billing & Cost Management” link present at the top right corner.
- A “Billing & Cost Management Dashboard” appears with “Top Free Tier Services by Usage” tab.
- Click “View All” option to see “All Free Tier Services By Usage” dashboard.
- Logging in every day to check usage on the dashboard is not a viable option. Create a CloudWatch alarm to ensure your AWS Free Tier usage never exceeds your budget.
Reasons to Use
- Free Hosting Services - The free hosting services of AWS Free Trail are optimal for a new website or blog. You are on a budget and getting free hosting services for a year is like discovering a goldmine in the first step itself.
- Professional Dev Environment - The AWS Free Trail provides young entrepreneurs a professional dev environment that allows them to beta test their products before introducing them to the world. The icing on the cake is that Amazon does not charge them any money for this opportunity.
- Seamless Upgrade - AWS Free Tier is the stepping stone. Once your blog gains presence and you are experiencing rapid growth, you can switch to AWS powerful machines. The transition from AWS Free Tier to the powerful machine is seamless.
- Runs Popular Blog Smoothly - If you are not in the favor to transiting to a powerful machine, you can stick with AWS Free Tier. It can run your popular blog smoothly courtesy some fine tuning such as caching layer, CDN, optimized codes, and databases.
As an entry level blogger or a young entrepreneur, you must try AWS Free Tier to learn and understand the AWS cloud services infrastructure. Free Tier is one of the most popular Amazon Web services in India. There’s hardly any competitor offering reliable hosting service at such low cost. As a word of caution, setup AWS CloudWatch alarms for billing alerts when using Amazon cloud services in India, otherwise be ready for unexpected bills.
Posted By : Raman Sharma
Posted Date : 05-Jan-2017
Source : i2k2 Networks
Views : 406